Thursday, October 22, 2009

Emergency Brake

"Why don't you turn the car around for me Schatzi?" I asked as we pulled up in front of the apartment after dance class. Schatzi obliged, then ran up to the apartment to send the babysitter down, and I slid into the driver's seat. So I thought I was all ready to drive the babysitter home. As I waited for Mari to come down, I noticed a few people behind me getting into their car. "I better pull over to the curb," I thought, "so these people can pass."

I put the Volkswagen in gear and pressed the gas. No go. Hmm. The emergency brake must be on. Strange, because Chad had told me not to bother with it as it was kind of tricky to release. Weird that he would put it on now . . . oh well.

As I tried to find the release button, the car behind me pulled up . . . then started honking . . . then another car turned onto the street from the opposite direction . . . of course, more honking . . . then another car, and another. Ok. This is getting ridiculous. It's 10:30 at night, why suddenly all the cars. I can't figure out the brake, so I grab my cell phone, start to call Chad and walk over to the car immediately behind me.

"Buna seara! I'm so sorry, I can't get the emergency brake off . . ." Before I can get the words out, this helpful Romanian gentleman, beautifully dressed in his dark suit and tie, jumps out of the car to rescue the poor foreign blond woman who doesn't know how to drive. He gets in the driver seat. Close behind him is another Romanian fellow, who, not to be outdone, jumps into the passenger seat. Then the guy in the delivery truck gets out and comes over, as well as Mr. Businessman's friend, and another man who just couldn't resist the party. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Vicki, our cleaning/security lady out on the terrace, with a concerned smile on her face, and a small crowd of observers has formed at the corner restaurant.

I finally get Chad on the line. "Push the button and press the brake simultaneously." I relay the message and the car is freed. The Romanians gleefully return to their cars as Mari comes out, wondering if there was an accident. "No, no, no, just get in, we've got to get out of here!"

And that's how five Romanian men and one American woman learned how to release the emergency brake on a Volkswagen Passat.

Scene of the "accident": After dropping off Mari, I didn't bother with the emergency brake when I parked.

1 comment:

  1. Funny! This was a good post. I"m glad you are enjoying yourself over there.

    ReplyDelete