Thursday, January 21, 2010

Audrey's Birthday Party

Last Friday Audrey had her little class over to the apartment to celebrate her "la multi ani". She had made it very clear that none of the older children were to be invited, just the "grupa mica". She graciously made an exception for Ava.

Petru couldn't resist the frosting . . . that's right, enjoy that silky buttercream while you can get it. Lucky for us, our friend at the US embassy had given me two boxes of powdered sugar, so I recanted my vow not to make another cake in Romania and we savored the smooth frosting. (In case you forgot, the powdered sugar available here is grainy.)

Birthday girl.

We played traditional children's party games, like pin the tail on the donkey. (I painted "Pedro" the night before). Perhaps this was the only kids party in Bucharest without face painting . . . the children still managed to have a good time.

Audrey's sweet teacher, Mariana.

8 kids and two adults return one block to Kindergarten in this compact car . . . yeah, they do things like that here, but don't worry, this is one custom we are not going to adopt.

The aftermath.

The birthday dress. I am absolutely delighted with it. There is something extremely satisfying in creating a beautiful dress and then watching your little girl wear it. Ahhh.

Yes, that's 10 yards going around the final tier of the skirt! Let's just say I spent a few nights gathering material.

Aren't the silk roses luscious? (Did I mention I love this dress! It's hanging out in the dining room where I can stare at it.)

O happy day!

3 comments:

  1. It is beautiful- I love this photo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is beautiful...and the harem costume comment is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful girl, beautiful dress, great party I guess our invitation got lost in the mail. Gigi and Pop Pop

    ReplyDelete