Monday, January 18, 2010

New Year's Eve & Kaiserball 2009

New Year's Eve at the Rathaus in Vienna.

Special appearance from Alvin! Can you spot Audrey on Daddy's shoulders?

A random man with a Christmas tree strapped to his back.

Amazing architecture on that city hall.

After enjoying the festivities and grabbing a bite to eat at the Rathaus square, we headed to Helmut and Julia's apartment for the sleepover party. Their boys are 5 and 2 1/2, and the girls had such fun playing with them. Samuel told his mommy he thought Ava was "frech" (sassy) and asked her why are all the cute girls blond?

The dress hunt: Earlier in the week, I went shopping for a ball gown as I left all mine in San Francisco (you know I have a few that would have worked). The Kaiserball deserved a debut dress anyway. I had seen this one in the store window and went after Christmas to check it out . . . naturally, all of the other dresses were on sale but this one. With a price tag of 379 euros, I kept looking and scored my bargain ensemble: a 20 euro dress! paired with a modest bolero jacket and black gloves.

After the children were sleeping, we got ready for the ball. Here I am all blurry and mysterious.

As Mutti would say, she cleans up well.

To the palace!


At midnight, the bells of St. Stephens ring wildly and the band strikes up the Blue Danube waltz. Did you see the fireworks through the window on the left? They were bursting all over the city.

Whirly, swirly ballroom dripping with chandeliers. It seems I have always loved chandeliers . . . I think it all started with the beautiful chandelier in the Ventura stake center chapel that fascinated me during church as a little girl.


A glimpse of the small ballroom.

Herzlich willkommen! but not until Schatzi purchased his bow tie at the door . . . they wouldn't let him in without one!


We even danced the quadrille. Viel spass! It's so amusing dancing with strangers.

An entrance (and exit) with flair.


My hopes for future balls: the ultimate Daddy - daughter date. (Did you notice the beautiful red and white flowers? Austria's national colors.)

Happy New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment