Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Night Train to Vienna

After agonizing over our travel options (plane, train, or car?), we decided to take the night train to Vienna.

We left the afternoon of December 23. Here's Charlotte that morning as photographed by Ava . . . that's me passed out behind her after the all nighter working across time zones to get our visa papers in order. (Thank you Celeste!) After all, it would be a pity to get stuck in Vienna.

The girls were excited about the dining car. I was relieved to be safely underway. After rushing to the train station and almost losing Audrey down a gigantic gap in the subway platform, we were ready to relax! (Really, I was sobbing through the metro station in gratitude for a strong grip and the unseen angels that helped me pull Audrey up when she stepped into thin air as we exited the subway.)

2 a.m. border crossing with accompanying passport control. And they were all sleeping so nicely . . .

Charlotte studies her passport. Might as well since we're all up.

We made it! 16 hours later we planted our feet in Vienna. Ready to hit the Christkindlmarkt.

(Alas, I'm having troubles uploading my photos . . . and tomorrow we are heading to 'ski camp' in the mountains; I'll have to continue the Vienna posts when I get back.)

No comments:

Post a Comment