Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Date Night



Although exhausted from the days activities, Schatzi and I kept our date and went out to dinner Saturday at Caru' cu Bere in the city center. Traditional Romanian music, food, and random dancing performances in the middle of the restaurant made for a memorable meal.

To eat? Thanks for asking: I had Moldavian stew served with polenta that was topped with fried egg and cascaval cheese. Excellent choice for me. While we waited at the bar for our table, I ordered my liter of fresh lemonade . . . ah, I shall thrive here. There is a terrible drought of lemonade in Germany, so imagine my delight when Chad told me that it's sort of a specialty in Romania. For dessert, the house specialty of fresh "doughnuts" topped with berries and cream.

I didn't expect the crowds of people. It's crazy . . . there's no way any car (or say emergency vehicle if you dare need one) could navigate downtown: where the streets aren't torn up, they are filled up with tables and people.

The combination of meat and potatoes cuisine with Latin-esque warmth and late night hours really suits us.

At the end of our evening, we noticed a truck driving through the outer streets spraying a thick mist from a bazooka-like hose mounted on its roof. Hmm. Then we noticed the bold print on the side of the truck: "Pest Control."

Buna seara in Bucaresti!


Grandma Ina's blue rhinestones chaperoned.

No comments:

Post a Comment