Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Meet Vicki


The rent for our apartment includes maid and laundry service on Tuesdays and Fridays. So I would like to introduce you to Vicki, who came yesterday and cleaned our incredibly messy place until it sparkled. (Good thing she's coming back already on Friday . . . we have serious tidiness issues . . . constant battle).

We met Vicki earlier in the week on Sunday as we were leaving for church and she was downstairs at the "security" desk (she does double duty, I guess). Lucky for me, Audrey had gotten up at 5 that morning, so I had time to start my Romanian studies and was able to "buna dimineata" and "ma numesc"--tell Vicki good morning and our names. I tried German, English, Spanish and Italian words for "church", and when that failed, I simply made praying hands and suddenly Vicki knew exactly where we were off to.

Although Vicki is excellent at cleaning, I think she is an even better teacher of Romanian, and so Vicki has become "Doamna Profesoara Vicki," profesoara de limba romana. She rattles on at me in Romanian as if I had a clue and it's fantastic.

Everyone here seems stunned that I wish to learn Romanian and doubtful of my success . . . but what they don't know is that I have Doamna profesoara Vicki.

Some personal information about Vicki: she has a photo in her wallet of a beautiful young woman, who, I gather, is in New Jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment